15-22nd May is Vegetarian Week
Here are my Top 5 favourite veggie recipes for you to try, these recipes are packed full of flavour and are super easy to make.
1. African Stew and Rice
1tsp olive oil
1 large onion chopped
3 crushed garlic cloves
2tsp fresh ginger grated
half teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 TBSP medium curry paste/powder
350g sweet potatoes cubed
300ml veg stock
3 handfuls spinach leaves
4 tbsp peanut butter
handful chopped coriander
40g dry brown rice per person or half a packet of microwaveable brown rice per person.
- put the olive oil in a pan and fry the the onion, garlic, ginger and cayenne cook for 8-10 minutes, add the curry paste and cook stirring for 1 minute
- cook the rice
- add the sweet pots, stir, fry for around 4 minutes, add the passata and stock
- bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until pots are almost done
- add the spinach and cook for 5 minutes
- spoon a few spoonfuls of the stew juices into a mug/bowl and add the peanut butter to melt it a little, mix and then pour back into the stew, it should thicken slightly, season, cook for another few minutes and serve!
2. Veggie Fajitas
fajita spice mix
1 courgette chopped
red pepper cut into strips
green pepper cut into strips
yellow pepper cut into strips
***You can use any other veggies you fancy in this too
1 large onion
2tbsp low fat fat free soft cheese like philidelphia
2tbsp tomato salsa
jalopenos/chillies if you want to use them
2 large wholemeal wraps – 1 per portion
quarter iceberg lettuce shredded
- preheat oven to 200 degrees c
- Put all the veggies on a baking tray, and mix with the fajita seasoning bake for 25 mins or until cooked through.
- Heat the wraps through and serve with the veggies, philly, salsa and lettuce, have a big mixed salad on the side if you wish.
3. Kadala Curry and Rice
1-2tbsp curry paste
1tsp olive oil
2 can of chickpeas washed and drained
1 onion chopped
1 can chopped tomatoes
1 can of light coconut milk
handful of coriander chopped
half a packet of brown microwave rice per person or 40g per person dry weight.
- Put the oil in a frying pan and add the curry paste, cook for 1-2 mins, add the onion and cook for 2 mins,
- add the chickpeas and tin toms and stir, cook for 5 mins, add the coconut milk and cook for 15 minutes or until reduced. Add the spinach and coriander and stir, cook the rice and serve.
4. Halloumi and Mushroom Burgers
450g Light Halloumi cheese , sliced into 1cm thick pieces
1tbsp olive oil
1 tub of low fat humous or red pepper humous – ready made
4 wholemeal rolls
4 portobello mushrooms
little gem lettuce leaves separated
3 tomatoes sliced
- Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees and put the mushrooms on a non stick baking tray upside down and cook for around 10-15 mins or until softened.
- coat the halloumi in the olive oil and heat a non stick griddle pan, cook for around 1 minute on each side.
- Spread the houmous on the bottom half of the roll, add the halloumi then the mushroom then the lettuce and tomatoes and the top half of the roll and serve with a big mixed salad.
5. Roasted Veg Pasta
400g of butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and cubed
2 courgettes cubed
2 onions chopped
1 red pepper chopped
1 yellow pepper chopped
1 green pepper chopped
2tsp olive oil
80g dry weight of wholemeal penne pasta per person
1tsp parmesan cheese per person
- Heat the oven to 200c or gas 6. put the veggies in a large oven dish and sprinkle over the thyme and oil, season and mix well, cook for around 35 minutes or until tender.
- Cook the pasta according to instructions, drain.
- Mix the roasted veggies into the pasta, add the cheese and serve!
Happy cooking! For more info on National Vegetarian week http://www.nationalvegetarianweek.org